
In a country overflowing with young talent, Carlo Ancelotti has reached back to a player who has spent the better part of last two years on the treatment table and handed him a ticket to the grandest stage in football.
Whether this is shrewd man-management or romantic indulgence, the World Cup itself will provide the verdict.
On Monday, Ancelotti announced a 26-player squad for the 2026 FIFA World Cup during an event held at the Museum of Tomorrow, a major tourist attraction in Rio de Janeiro. The headline, as it so often is with Brazil, was Neymar Jr.
The 34-year-old Santos striker, Brazil's all-time top scorer with 79 international goals, has been named in the squad and will appear at his fourth World Cup.
It is a remarkable inclusion given that Neymar has struggled to return to top fitness since tearing his left ACL in October 2023. Yet Ancelotti was unequivocal in his defence of the decision.
"We have assessed Neymar all season. He has really improved in recent times, improving his physical condition. He's an important player, and he'll be important at the World Cup," the coach said at a press conference.
15 May 2026 - Vol 04 | Issue 71
The Cultural Traveller
Ancelotti was equally firm in addressing any suggestion that Neymar would be afforded special treatment within the squad.
The coach also made clear that his rationale for selecting Neymar extended beyond what the forward could offer physically on the pitch.
"He has experience in this kind of competition; he can create a better environment in this group," Ancelotti said.
We chose Neymar not because we think he'll be a good substitute. We chose Neymar because we believe he can help the team, whether it's for one minute, five minutes, 90 minutes or even taking a penalty," he added.
Shortly before the squad was announced, Neymar changed his Instagram bio in a revealing way. He previously had referred only to Santos as where he was currently playing, but he added Brazil.
Vinicius Jr. of Real Madrid and Barcelona's Raphinha bring dynamism and proven quality in attack for Brazil.
Marquinhos of Paris Saint-Germain anchors the defensive leadership, while Arsenal contribute two names in Gabriel Martinelli and Gabriel Magalhaes.
Ancelotti acknowledged the difficulty of whittling down a nation of exceptional depth.
"It was difficult to pick these 26 players because the competition is very high in this country," said the Italian tactician, who also confirmed that he deliberately favoured experienced players for certain spots in the squad.
The coach was philosophical when reflecting on the broader challenge of squad selection. He said there is no such thing as a perfect squad, and that perfection is not a prerequisite for winning the World Cup.
What matters more, in his view, is resilience, and he expressed a clear ambition to build the most resilient side in the world.
Brazil will compete at the tournament, which runs from June 11 to July 19 across the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
For Neymar Jr, it may well be his final opportunity to deliver the one trophy that has eluded him throughout a glittering, if interrupted, career.
Brazil's 2026 FIFA World Cup squad
Goalkeepers: Alisson, Ederson. Weverton
Defenders: Alex Sandro. Bremer, Danilo, Douglas Santos, Gabriel Magalhaes, Ibanez, Leo Pereira, Marquinhos, Wesley
Midfielders: Bruno Guimarães, Casemiro, Danilo Santos, Fabinho, Lucas Paquetá
Forwards: Endrick, Gabriel Martinelli, Igor Thiago, Luiz Henrique, Matheus Cunha, Neymar Jr, Raphinha, Rayan, Vinicius Junior
(With inputs from ANI)