
Indian men's cricket team chief selector Ajit Agarkar clarified that ace all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja has been rested for the one-off Test against Afghanistan, with no concerns over his place in the longest format.
He stressed that Jadeja remains a key member of India's Test setup and continues to be the team's first-choice spinner.
Agarkar also explained that in ODI cricket, with the next World Cup only over a year away, the selectors are using this period to explore and assess newer options, especially with an eye on conditions in South Africa.
While established players like Jadeja and Axar Patel are well known, this phase is being used to provide opportunities and exposure to emerging talent.
"I think Jadeja's just been rested for this test. I think we just want to try and give him the opportunity; he's aware of it, that's why he's not in the team, he remains a very integral part of the test team,” Agarkar told the reporters.
15 May 2026 - Vol 04 | Issue 71
The Cultural Traveller
“I mean, we know what Ravindra Jadeja or Axar Patel can do, and this is the time we try to give some opportunities to some of the other guys. So with regards to the test, you know he remains our number one spinner, and it's only this test that we've, we've not picked him or rested him, rather," he said.
Jadeja was part of India's last Test XI against South Africa in November 2025 and also featured in the three-match ODI series against New Zealand earlier this year.
The one-off Test between India and Afghanistan will be played in Mullanpur from June 6, followed by a three-match ODI series beginning on June 14, with matches scheduled in Dharamshala, Lucknow, and Chennai.
(With inputs from ANI)